The very first thing I wish to say right here is that if right this moment’s publication reads like a man with 41 cups of espresso in his system wrote it, it is as a result of I truly suppose I’ve 41 cups of espresso in my system.
The NFL acquired so loopy yesterday that I have never been capable of sleep, so I have been consuming espresso nonstop for 14 straight hours. The irony right here is that I truly virtually did go to sleep whereas watching the Browns recreation, however I am glad I did not, as a result of the remainder of the day was whole chaos.
That every one occurred and it is all in right this moment’s publication, so let’s get to the rundown. As all the time, this is your weekly reminder to inform all your mates to join the publication. All you have to do is click here and then share the link. We’ll gladly settle for all new sign-ups, even when they fell asleep in the course of the Texans-Browns recreation.
1. Right now’s Present: Week 10 winners and losers plus full recap
It is Monday, which might solely imply one factor: I stayed up till 3 a.m. final night time recording a podcast with Will Brinson and Ryan Wilson that touched on every part it’s worthwhile to find out about Week 10 and let me simply say, there’s a lot it’s worthwhile to know, as a result of Week 10 was bananas.
One factor we do each week is hand out our weekly winners and losers from Sunday’s motion. For our winners this week, Ryan acquired lazy and picked the identical workforce as final week, Brinson picked the obvious selection and I should have been drunk as a result of I picked an NFC East workforce.
- Winner: Brian Flores and the Dolphins. I am beginning to suppose Ryan has a man-crush on the Dolphins, as a result of for the second straight week, they’re his winner. Wilson has been extremely impressed with their protection and he is beginning to really feel like they are a lock to make the playoffs, which is saying so much, contemplating this workforce began 0-7 simply final season.
- Loser: Ravens. After being upset by the Patriots, the Ravens have doubtless squandered any probability that they had of successful the AFC North. Not solely are they now three video games behind the Steelers, however they’re additionally tied with the Browns for second place within the division.
- Winner: Kyler Murray and the Cardinals. You may most likely guess why Brinson picked this combo. If you cannot guess why, simply click here and watch the Hail Mary again.
- Loser: Texans. This looks as if a franchise going nowhere. They’re losing Deshaun Watson’s prime, they don’t have any draft picks and so they’re led by a man within the entrance workplace (Jack Easterby) who has no historical past of main a workforce. Brinson thinks the Texans are headed for a “darkish place.” I do not know what which means, however it would not sound good.
- Winner: Giants. For many groups within the NFL, being 3-7 by the primary 10 weeks is considered as a complete failure, however not for the NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS. This workforce is now only a half recreation out of first place within the NFC East and as loopy because it sounds, I am beginning to really feel like they could be one of the best workforce within the division.
- Loser: Nick Chubb fantasy homeowners. I am not going to beat across the bush right here, Nick Chubb is on my fantasy workforce and I cried for a full 10 minutes when he determined to STOP on the 1-yard line as a substitute of scoring a landing late within the recreation in opposition to the Texans. In case you even have Chubb in your fantasy workforce, I empathize with you. We have to have a bunch assembly in some unspecified time in the future this week so we are able to all console one another. I am going to see if CBS will let me schedule a Zoom name.
Not solely did we checklist our winners and losers, however we additionally recapped each recreation from Sunday. If you wish to hear — and also you positively ought to — you can click here.
2. Cardinals beat Bills on the “Hail Murray”
From today ahead, Kyler Murray’s Hail Mary pass will forever be known because the “Hail Murray.” However, the move would possibly as nicely be named after Bill Murray attributable to the truth that Buffalo lives in a perpetual Groundhog Day the place they’re all the time discovering new and unbelievable methods to lose. The workforce that when blew a 35-3 lead within the playoffs and as soon as misplaced a Super Bowl on a missed area objective can now add this to their historic checklist of loopy losses.
The Cardinals’ 32-30 win over the Bills was wild for the primary 59 minutes after which went completely bonkers within the remaining 34 seconds.
- Payments rating TD with 34 seconds left. The unhappy factor concerning the Hail Mary for the Payments is that everybody goes to neglect about the truth that Josh Allen led a 75-yard scoring drive that culminated with a 21-yard TD move to Stefon Diggs that gave the Payments the lead with simply 34 seconds left. On the drive, Allen was completely clutch, going 8 of 11 for 61 yards. In most video games, scoring a landing with 34 seconds left is often adequate to get you the win, however this wasn’t most video games.
- Kyler throws up 43-yard prayer to DeAndre Hopkins. Each time I watch this play, I discover one thing wonderful that I did not see the primary time. First, Murray virtually acquired sacked earlier than he was even capable of get the move off, however his athleticism saved him. The Cardinals QB had to make use of a candy stutter-step to maintain the play alive. Second, he was rolling left, so he needed to throw ACROSS his physique and he needed to throw it at the least 50 yards within the air, which isn’t a straightforward combo, even for an NFL QB. Lastly, DeAndre Hopkins then needed to by some means beat the Payments protection, which was practically excellent. Hopkins was utterly surrounded and but nonetheless managed to catch the move (You can click here to see how well covered Hopkins was). I might be watching this play on a loop for at the least two hours right this moment.
- Gamblers now hate the Cardinals. The craziness of the sport did not cease after the Hail Mary and that is as a result of there was a enjoyable twist on the additional level: The Cardinals determined NOT to try one. With Arizona up 32-30, coach Kliff Kingsbury did not wish to danger the Payments blocking the additional level and returning it for 2, so he determined to have Murray kneel the ball, a lot to the chagrin of everybody who guess on the Cardinals. Arizona closed as a 2.5-point favourite at most sports activities books and if that they had kicked the additional level, they’d have coated, however Kingsbury referred to as for the kneel down, giving Payments bettors the unbelievable win.
You recognize what, now that I am occupied with it, Payments followers deserved that. They did not get the win, however at the least Kingsbury allow them to preserve their dignity.
3. Monday preview: Prepping you for Vikings-Bears
Guys, I do know that all of us hate Mondays, however I’ve to say, I do not suppose anybody hates Monday greater than Kirk Cousins and that is as a result of he has NEVER WON A MONDAY GAME in his profession. That is like going a whole yr with out going to the lavatory on a Tuesday, it would not even appear doable. Since being drafted in 2012, Cousins has began in 9 Monday video games and he is gone 0-9 in these video games. Additionally, since signing with the Vikings, he is gone winless in opposition to the Bears (0-3).
Anyway, I feel the explanation I am telling you all of it’s because the Vikings are favored by 3.5 factors tonight and that looks like too many factors for a workforce that is quarterbacked by a man who’s by no means gained on a Monday.
With that in thoughts, let’s check out a couple of nuggets from our Vikings-Bears preview.
- On Minnesota’s finish, the Vikings are doubtless going to show to Dalvin Cook early and sometimes. Cook dinner has arguably been one of the best working again within the NFL over the previous two weeks with 5 touchdowns and a mean of 184.5 yards per recreation since Week 9. In fact, if Cook dinner has one weak point, it is taking part in the Bears. In three profession video games, he is averaged simply 28.7 yards per recreation.
- The Bears have one of many worst offenses within the NFL this yr, but when there’s one saving grace, it is that they get to go up in opposition to one of many worst defenses within the NFL on Monday night time. The Vikings are surrendering a mean of 412.9 yards per recreation this season, which is the third most within the NFL. The Bears would possibly truly be capable of transfer the ball on them.
Breech’s prediction: Bears 20-17 over Vikings (Observe: I am by some means 11-2 on my picks in Week 10).
For a extra in-depth preview on this recreation from Jared Dubin, be sure to click here.
4. Week 10 grades: Eagles get an ‘F’ in loss to Giants
Each week, I workforce up with six of my colleagues right here at CBSSports.com handy out grades, and this week, the Philadelphia Eagles failed out of our imaginary soccer college. Truthfully, we must always most likely simply fail out your entire NFC East, however somebody has to win that division and as loopy because it sounds, the Giants are beginning to appear to be they could be that workforce.
This is a have a look at the grades from two notable video games that have been performed Sunday:
Giants 27, Eagles 17 (Click here for full recap)
Giants takeaway: For the primary time in his profession, Daniel Jones beat a divisional opponent not named Washington. Going into this recreation, Jones was 4-0 in opposition to Washington, however 0-4 in opposition to Dallas and Philadelphia. Jones lastly acquired the Eagles monkey off his again with a powerful efficiency that included greater than 300 whole yards (244 passing yards, 64 speeding yards). Grade: B
Eagles takeaway: The Giants went into this recreation with the worst offense within the NFC — averaging simply 306.6 yards per recreation — and the Eagles nonetheless could not cease them. Offensively, issues may need truly been worse for the Eagles, who managed to undergo your entire recreation with out changing a single third down (0-for-9). Grade: F
Raiders takeaway: The Raiders ran the ball down Denver’s throat and dared the Broncos to cease them, however Denver merely could not determine the way to decelerate the Las Vegas speeding recreation. The Raiders floor assault imposed its will on the Broncos’ protection, totaling 203 yards on 41 carries. Josh Jacobs did a lot of the injury (21 carries, 112 yards, two touchdowns), however he additionally acquired some assist from Devontae Booker (16 carries, 81 yards, 2 touchdowns). Grade: A+
Broncos takeaway: I feel the Raiders’ recreation plan on Sunday was to simply let the Broncos beat themselves and that plan labored to perfection because the Broncos turned the ball over 5 instances. The Broncos may need to start out their quarterback search once more and that is as a result of it is beginning to appear to be Drew Lock won’t be their QB of the long run. Of these 5 turnovers, 4 got here on Lock interceptions. It was a disastrous recreation for the Broncos’ second-year QB. Grade: F
As for the opposite 20 grades we handed out on Sunday, you can check those out by clicking here.
5. NFL playoff image heading into Monday night time
Now that we’re 10 weeks by the season, I’ve determined that now is an effective time to see how the playoff image is shaking out, so let’s try how the race is trying in every convention, beginning with the AFC.
Two key issues to recollect this yr is that SEVEN groups might be getting in and that solely the highest seed might be getting a bye. Additionally, the “First workforce out” is being listed as a result of that workforce may very well be the final one in if the NFL decides to increase the playoffs to 16 groups. That proposal has been permitted, however the enlargement to 16 will solely occur if a number of common season video games are canceled and cannot be made up.
Essentially the most notable a part of the AFC playoff image is that the Tennessee Titans are NOWHERE to be discovered. After we checked in on the playoff image final week, the Titans had the fourth seed, however after shedding to the Colts in Week 10, they dropped all the best way all the way down to ninth, which suggests they would not even be in if playoff area was expanded to 16 groups. The Titans are certainly one of 9 AFC groups that at the moment has six or extra wins, which is a report for one convention by 10 weeks. Additionally, if the seeding holds, it might give us Ravens-Chiefs within the wild-card spherical. Sure please.
1. Packers (7-2)
2. Saints (7-2)
3. Cardinals (6-3)
4. Eagles (3-5-1)
5. Buccaneers (7-3)
6. Rams (6-3)
7. Seahawks (6-3)
First workforce out: Bears (5-4) — Bears will preserve this spot even when they lose on Monday night time.
Why is the NFC East getting a playoff berth? I do not know. At 3-5-1, the Eagles have the fewest wins by an outright division chief by 10 weeks because the AFL/NFL merger in 1970. As loopy because it sounds, we’re staring on the very actual risk that the NFC East champ solely finishes with 5 wins. In non-NFC East information, the “Hail Murray” did not simply assist the Cardinals choose up an unbelievable win, it additionally vaulted Arizona to the highest of the NFC West. Final week, the Cardinals have been the sixth seed within the NFC, however after their win over Buffalo, they’re now as much as the third seed.
6. Drew Brees headlines checklist of QB accidents in Week 10
It was an unpleasant week of accidents on the quarterback place as Drew Brees, Teddy Bridgewater and Matthew Stafford all acquired banged up on Sunday. Of the accidents, Brees’ scenario positively appears to be the worst and with that in thoughts, let’s check out the most recent replace on every man.
- Drew Brees (ribs): That is positively probably the most regarding damage on this checklist and that is as a result of it is beginning to appear to be Brees is the one quarterback of the three who might probably miss a while. Brees suffered a a rib contusion in opposition to the 49ers and according to NFL.com, New Orleans is bracing for Brees to overlook a while so he can absolutely heal. Fortuitously for the Saints, they could be capable of survive for awhile with out Brees and that is as a result of their subsequent 4 opponents all have simply three wins. The Saints play the 3-6 Falcons in Week 11, the 3-6 Broncos in Week 12, a rematch with the Falcons in Week 13 adopted by a recreation in opposition to the 3-5-1 Eagles in Week 13. If Jameis Winston has to start out, these are 4 video games he might completely win.
- Teddy Bridgewater (proper knee): The Panthers quarterback injured his knee in opposition to the Buccaneers, and to this point, it would not appear to be something severe. The initial diagnosis is that Bridgewater strained his MCL and might be day-to-day going ahead. Though which means he’ll doubtless play in Week 11 in opposition to the Lions, the Panthers might additionally select to be cautious right here and maintain him out per week.
- Matthew Stafford (proper thumb): Stafford’s thumb acquired so banged up in opposition to Washington that he had trouble gripping the ball at instances in the course of the Lions’ 30-27 win. The excellent news for the Lions is that his X-rays came back negative and the workforce is optimistic that he’ll be capable of play this week in opposition to the Panthers. Even when he performs in Week 11, there is a good probability he’ll be restricted in apply this week.
Stafford and Bridgewater are literally taking part in one another in Week 11, which provides a twist to the accidents suffered by these two gamers.
7. The Kicker!
Guys, in relation to kicking, I by no means exaggerate, so I do not suppose I am exaggerating once I say this: Sunday may need been the best kicking day in NFL historical past. There have been 10 area objectives on the day of fifty yards or extra and there have been 4 area objectives of 55 yards or extra with both totals tying an NFL record for a single day. NFL kickers have been additionally an ideal 11 of 11 on area objective makes an attempt of greater than 50 yards in Week 10, which is probably the most ever tried in per week the place they mixed to make 100% of their kicks.
Personally, my favourite kick of the day got here from Seattle’s Jason Myers, who drilled a 61-YARD FIELD GOAL in opposition to the Rams. Let me simply say that I do not often do tequila pictures at 4:30 p.m. on a Sunday, however I’ll completely do one if I see somebody make a kick of greater than 60 yards. Fortuitously for me, I have never needed to actually escape the Sunday afternoon tequila this season, as a result of earlier than this week, nobody within the NFL had made a area objective of 60 yards or extra.
Not solely did Myers hit the longest area objective of the season, however it additionally set the Seahawks franchise report for longest kick. If you wish to see the sphere objective — and belief me, you do, as a result of the kick solely made it by a couple of foot — just click here.
In case you want me, I will be watching that kick on a loop for the subsequent 24 hours straight, however I most likely will not be together with the tequila shot whereas watching the replay. That does not look like a good suggestion. See you guys Tuesday!