UNIVERSITY PARK, Pennsylvania – A strong all-around group effort highlighted by a pair of massive performances from freshmen Josie Bothun and Carrie Byrnes powered the Penn State ladies’s hockey group to a 3-0 shutout win over Lindenwood in its 2020-21 season opener Sunday afternoon at Pegula Ice Enviornment.
Byrnes netted her first profession purpose midway via the primary interval whereas Bothun made 23 saves to earn a shutout in her first profession begin for the Nittany Lions.
Senior Natalie Heising scored a pair of targets, one on the facility play and the opposite on an empty web, so as to add to the scoring for PSU.
Junior defender Izzy Heminger had two assists for establishing Heising, whereas sophomore Mallory Uihlein and freshmen Maeve Connolly, Jess Ciarrocchi and Kiara Zanon additionally picked up helpers within the recreation.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After a little bit of a sluggish begin between each groups, the Nittany Lions struck first with time expiring on a power-play. Connolly centered the puck from behind the purpose line in the direction of Ciarrocchi within the crease.
Ciarrocchi obtained a bit of it earlier than Byrnes scooped up the free puck and scored on her backhand, placing Penn State forward 1-0 on the 9:36 mark within the first interval. The purpose marked the primary profession factors for all three freshmen.
Within the second interval, one other profitable energy play doubled the Nittany Lions lead 2:49 into the body. Heising corralled a rebound and scored from her signature right-circle location for her first of the season. Heminger and Uihlein netted assists on the play.
Penn State put the clamps on the Lindenwood assault within the third interval, permitting simply 5 pictures on purpose for the ultimate body. One in all them was a giant one from Bothun early within the body when the freshman netminder stopped a breakaway probability for Lindenwood’s Meara Ryan.
Lindenwood pulled goaltender Annika Asplundh with 90 seconds remaining trailing 2-0, however the gamble backfired as Zanon and Heminger arrange Heising for her second of the sport on the empty cage, ending the sport at 3-0.
HEAR IT FROM THEM
Head Coach Jeff Kampersal
- “It was very a lot a group win. Everybody did their job they usually performed nice. They had been supportive of each other…Once more, every particular person did their job and that is what made us play so effectively as a unit.”
- On the freshmen’s efficiency: “They create a number of enthusiasm and power. They’re hockey gamers. They spend a number of time on the rink. They attempt to enhance their talent they usually like to play…We’re actually excited for that group.”
Freshman goaltender Josie Bothun
- On lastly taking part in this season and taking part in her first profession recreation: “It was undoubtedly emotional as a result of I missed having that ‘recreation’ feeling a lot and it did not actually hit me till this morning that I used to be taking part in a hockey recreation.
Freshman ahead Carrie Byrnes
- On taking part in and scoring in first profession recreation: “I used to be so excited to play and once I scored that purpose, I believe a number of the freshmen had been on the market, in order that was actually enjoyable.”
- Bothun grew to become the primary Penn State goaltender to earn a shutout victory in her first profession begin.
- Byrnes follows up sophomore Julie Gough as the most recent Penn State freshman to attain a purpose in her first profession recreation. Gough scored unassisted Sept. 27, 2019 at Holy Cross.
- Heising upped her Penn State power-goal purpose report whole to 19 together with her second-period rating. Her multigoal recreation was the ninth of her profession, placing her a tie for essentially the most in Penn State historical past with Laura Bowman (’17).
- Heminger’s two help efficiency was the fourth multipoint efficiency of her profession and the second time she’s accomplished it towards Lindenwood.
- Penn State’s season-opening victory is its first win to open the season for the reason that Nittany Lion’s inaugural season in 2012-13 (5-3 at Vermont, Oct. 6, 2012).
- Penn State led in pictures on purpose 41-23 within the recreation, with 20 pictures coming within the second interval alone.
- Penn State’s penalty-unit was very robust for the sport going an ideal 6-6 on holding Lindenwood’s energy play from scoring.